Tuesday, February 11, 2014

How Sex & the City Influenced my Life

I thought I would take the time to introduce myself before I start creating this masterpiece of a blog. My name is Whitney Johnson and I'm currently a senior at the University of Northern Iowa in Cedar Falls. When I started college almost four years ago I knew that I wanted to pursue a degree in Public Relations. My reasons for declaring a major in public relations were kind of all over the place though.

  1. My first reason was because I knew that I was good at talking, or as we like to say in college, "a great communicator." To be honest, my skills at communicating mainly came from the fact that I liked to talk a lot. In sixth grade, my teacher informed my Mom that I was a "social butterfly." In sixth grade though that means I talked too much in class and she wanted me to shut my mouth. Eventually, that turned into a skill and all of the sudden I'm a communicator. 
  2. My second reason was because my writing skills weren't too shabby. I liked to write, it came easy to
    me, and multiple people told me I was good at it. Writing and reading were always my favorite subjects in school, while math and science were definitely not my strong suits. 
  3. My last reason for deciding to major in public relations was because of Sex and the City. My junior year, I fell in love with the show, and I absolutely loved Samantha. Not because of her sexual habits, but because how strong and independent she was, and I wanted to be that someday. She ran her own public relations firm and was very determined. I envied her career.
 So my decision to major in public relations took me to Kirkwood Community College in Cedar Rapids to complete my Associate of Arts degree and then to Cedar Falls to finish my bachelors degree. When I started at UNI I decided to minor in marketing because I always thought it was an interesting field, but I had no idea I wanted to pursue a career in it until after a few classes. Fast forward to the spring of 2014.....I now have a second major in Interactive Digital Studies with emphases in digital advertising and digital imaging. I want to pursue a career in digital marketing after graduation next December. Which leads to the reason I'm writing this blog. The main reason is because it's required for my digital advertising class, but I'm also very interested in social media and how it effects our lives. My focus for this blog though will be social media in the Cedar Valley. I want to explore how small businesses utilize social media or how they aren't utilizing it. Thanks for listening to my life story. Stay tuned for more posts!

1 comment:

  1. This is a great idea, Whitney. I plan to follow your Blog and wish you the very best in your future career.

    ReplyDelete